Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wednesdays

Last Wednesday I started my first cycle of Taxol chemo. First, I received IV pre-treatment drugs which were are to fend off allergic reactions to Taxol and the solvent it is diluted in. Remember Chemistry class? Solvents are the things you are warned to avoid breathing, contact with skin and eyes. This solvent was being put into a vein which leads first to my heart then to my lungs. Seriously? Taxol and the solvent come in a glass bottle (every other IV is in a plastic bag... could they be concerned it would melt plastic too?). But if you think about it... a drug that comes from the bark of a tree must be like sap... and what better way to dilute it than with a solvent. The last pre-treatment drug I got was benadryl (which makes you sleepy). When the taxol started the nurse gave me instructions to call her if I noticed anything unusual. She said if I did; they would stop the treatment and give me more drugs to stop allergic reactions. I had read up and knew that some of allergic reactions were difficulty breathing, itching and feeling like you are going to pass out. How do you know if you are falling asleep or passing out? It was hard to relax. I did eventually fall asleep. And I woke up!

Tomorrow I will start the second cycle of Taxol. Fortunately, I have had no side effects other than needing extra rest.

Interestingly, I have about 1/4 inch of fuzzy hair on my head. It is probably because there was a delay between the end of one chemo and the start of the next. I figure it pry likely fall out in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment