Went to exercise yesterday and today. I got points for showing up, but was not able to even meet my performance from two weeks ago. Fortunately, they always ask how I am feeling and cut me slack when I am not 100%. Did slightly better today than yesterday. Return on Friday for the last session of the week.
I saw my blood work results from pre chemo. My red blood count is down but impressively close to normal. Chemo kills fast growing cells (like cancer, hair and blood). Red blood cells live about 120 days. It takes time for RBC recover from the chemo. The triage nurse explained I am in excellent shape compared to the average chemo patient. Blood transfusions can be used in desperate situations. There is also a shot for RBC growth, but has risks to the heart so it is rarely used. Rest can improve the rebuilding process. Iron rich diet will not going to help at this point. Absorbing iron is not the problem. But she said, if you like red meat and spinach-got for it!
I decided that science and medicine are way too complicated and risky. I am going to choose new wellness indicators. First, is my success at SODUKU. Naps seem to improve my performance here, so I think it will correlate well. Second, is how closely Sutton keeps track of me. When I am doing really well I wear him out with long walks and he sleeps all day oblivious to my well being. When I sleep all day, he gets worried (that I might forget to feed/walk him) and stays close by and checks on me often. Some people gauge my wellness on how I look. That may work in general, but I should tell you I can cheat with makeup. And of course I have no bad hair days!

What kind of an exercise regime do they have you on? Perhaps you could bring Sutton with you so you both get a good work out - and can both sleep off the afternoon!
ReplyDeleteI carry Sudoku books in my purse (the EASY versions from Penny Press - a subscription gift from someone). I hate waiting anywhere with nothing to do. Even if it's just a puzzle, it feels like such an accomplishment when you get it done.
Wishing you many days of Sutton napping!
Cindy W.